Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Buying a birthday present

My husband's birthday is this week, and I have to say I was absolutely stumped on what to get him. I usually have some sort of idea well before the big day, but this year nothing.

So I asked and got the typically birthday reply.

"Nothing."

I asked again. Everyone wants something.

"I really don't know."

Still, I persisted and finally got this response.

"I'm feeling very apathetic towards my birthday, but think it's nice you want to get me something. "

This is not a milestone birthday or anything, but I LOVE to celebrate birthdays. I just do. I decided to keep my ears open and see if he said the word "want" or "need" anywhere.

So, for weeks I listened. Besides some time out in the garage to do woodworking, he doesn't want anything. I'm not counting a new roof. Or the termites to go away. The man is content.

But then on Sunday he slipped. Oh yes, and I was there to hear it.

Going off to my parents for Easter dinner he said

"I just don't have...."

Sorry, can't complete the sentence as he may read this. But don't worry, his birthday is Thursday so I'll fill in the blank then!

No comments: